Aberdeenshire Council and the Scottish Government have updated their websites with a selection of useful information to help support the people of Ukraine as they arrive in Scotland. We have highlighted some useful links and resources below for anyone or any organisations who may be involved with supporting Ukrainine people and families in Aberdeenshire.
- Aberdeenshire Digital Welcome Packs include information about immigration, money advice, community, employment and council services.
- The Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine) allows Ukrainian nationals and their family members to come to the UK if they have a named sponsor who can provide accommodation for a minimum of 6 months. (Please note that a three-month pause on new visa applications for displaced Ukrainians to come to Scotland will be in place from 9:00 am on Wednesday 13 July)
The Ukraine Family Scheme visa allows applicants to join family members, or extend their stay, in the UK.
- Public Protection Guidance for all practitioners involved in the safeguarding of children and adults who are arriving in Scotland from Ukraine to identify and respond to risk and need.
- Other ways to lend your support - for example by donating essential supplies or volunteering.
- Scottish Government has announced that the Strathburn Hotel, Inverurie will be utilised as a Welcome Hub Hotel for Ukrainians arriving via the Scottish Government Super Sponsor route, from 11.08.22. It is likely that the hotel will operate as Welcome Hub for the foreseeable future; other hotels in Aberdeenshire may also be procured.
Barnardo's Scotland are offering a welcome service to support children and families who arrive in Scotland as a result of the war in Ukraine.Core aims are:
- Ensure vulnerable children and families are effectively welcomed as they arrive in Scotland.
- Ensure ongoing support is available to address immediate and emerging needs
- provide access to trauma and mental health support for those that need it.
Ukraininan nationals may wish to attend some local groups to meet other Ukranian families and local people for support as they settle into Aberdeenshire. Below is a list of groups currently active across the region.
Peterhead Church of Christ, Pusey Place every Thursday 1-3pm. This is also a hub and fully stocked with clothes and other essential items.
The Tolbooth, 23 Station Road, Ellon every Friday 6-8pm.
Acorn Centre, West Church Tuesday 10-11:30am